Wednesday, 10 July 2013
Monday, 3 June 2013
These are the recipes that we used, they are all really simple, affordable great tasting dishes that take a little planning but are easy to prepare. I bought all of the ingredients in shops around Sharrow, you can get the vine leaves from Osmans on London Road and they come in a jar.
- Heat a little oil and cook the onion and garlic till they soften.
- Add the rice, sultana’s and pine nuts and stir through the onion and garlic.
- Add the water and boil to till the rice is cooked and liquid absorbed. Add the chopped herbs and leave the mixture to cool.
- Place 1 tbsp of the rice mixture in the middle of each vine leaf and roll into a tight parcel.
- Serve the dolmades either cold or heated in a steamer or microwave.
- Heat the oil in a pan and soften the garlic and onion. Add the mince, oregano and cinnamon and cook till the lamb is brown.
- Add the tomatoes and the wine if you’re using, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. Finish with some salt and pepper.
- Heat some more oil in a pan, slice the aubergine and soften them in the oil.
- To make the topping, melt the butter in a pan and add the flour. Mix them together and cook for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add the milk a little at a time, stirring continuously so there are no lumps.
- Once all the milk is added, add the cheese and melt.
- Take off the heat and stir in the egg yolks. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the moussaka, lay the softened aubergines in the bottom of a deep baking tray. Place the cooked mince on top and finish with the cheese sauce.
- Place the moussaka in a pre-heated oven (gas 6 / 200c) for 20 to 30 minutes or the top is golden brown.